Eating well for a full, healthy life at every age

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Larabar - A Random Act of Yumminess


With summer finally arriving, many of you likely have some great travel plans in your future.  The biggest challenge I have with traveling is how to eat healthy food on the road.  While I love eating out and frequently find great menu choices, I often find that I crave fresh fruit and unprocessed food within the first few days of the trip.  Mostly, I want something simple and healthy for breakfast or a snack. 

Today’s feature – Larabar - is not a single ingredient food, but it is amazingly close for many of the flavors.  I’d seen Larabars on the shelf among what seems to be hundreds of other bars.  Recently I needed a quick snack and ate the ‘Peanut Butter & Jelly’ flavor.  Wow!  The bar was moist and tasted very much like the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I enjoyed so much as a kid.  I took a look at the label and I was amazed:  dates, peanuts, unsweetened cherries and salt.  Only 4 ingredients!

Since that time, Larabars have become a staple when I am traveling – along with fresh fruit and nuts that travel well. 

Have you ever tried a Larabar?  The primary ingredients of the bars include dried fruit and nuts, so if you are already a trail mix junkie you will love them. 

At the Larabar website (http://www.larabar.com/), you will find information about the founder, Lara Merriken, history of the company, and nutritional information about each of the flavors they’ve created.  There are 19 Larabar flavors and 4 “Jocalat” flavors, featuring organic unsweetened chocolate. 

Besides the great taste, the bars are rich in protein, fiber, healthy unsaturated fat, and have no added sugars.  As a result, you will have lasting energy with no blood sugar swings from too much sugar.   The ingredients provide a boost of vitamins and minerals.

I am in no way connected to Larabars.  I just love their products and their vision:  Pure, Simple, Delicious.

Enjoy the energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment