Eating well for a full, healthy life at every age

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fuzzy Peaches - Love at First Bite!

Last week at my local farmers market I bought a couple of small, seemingly “extra fuzzy” peaches.  I brought them home and put them on the counter to reach ripe perfection for a mid-week snack.  I’ve found that filling a bowl with fresh, luscious fruit that is visible every time I go into my kitchen creates a snack magnet that overrides any other cravings when I need something sweet.  And it helps me toward my goal of at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.

Back to the peaches!  This peach must have been fresh off of the tree and picked at the perfect point of ripeness.  It was soft, sweet, juicy and fell right of the pit.  I can’t remember the last time I’d had a peach so perfect and I wish I’d purchased more!

A small peach has only 50 calories, 2 gram of fiber, and is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium. 

In North America alone there are over 300 varieties of peaches.  The most common you will see in the market include yellow or white flesh, and clingstone, freestone, or semi-freestone.  Most peaches sold in the U.S. are yellow flesh and have more of an “acid tang” than white flesh varieties.

Clingstone peaches have flesh that clings to their pits.  This variety is softer, sweeter and juicier than freestone peaches and commercially canned peaches are all clingstones.  The growing season is May to August and this is the time to find them at your local farmers market.

Freestone peaches’ flesh does not stick to the pit and they tend to be larger and less juicy than clingstones.  The growing season is slightly longer, from May to October.

Semi-freestone is a hybrid of clingstone and freestone, an attempt to combine the sweetness of clingstones and the easy eating properties of freestones.

You may also find donut peaches, a heirloom variety this is flat, white-fleshed, and low in acid.  I’ve seen them in grocery stores that carry local and specialty produce during the summer months.

In addition to enjoying peaches fresh, they are fantastic grilled with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, diced in muffins or pancakes, or sliced on top of yogurt, cereal, or salads.  If you are feeling ambitious, buy extra and can them, freeze them, or make home-made jam to enjoy all winter.

Here is a link to simple instructions on how to successfully freeze peaches: How to Freeze Peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment