Eating well for a full, healthy life at every age

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Kale... Chips??

I know it sounds strange to make chips out of a leafy green that often decorates salad bars, but if you haven’t tried them you are missing an incredible snack alternative.  People who have tried them describe them as “addicting” and confess that they often eat a whole bowl themselves.
When I first heard about them I knew that it was something I had to try!  Leafy greens are a powerhouse for health and creative recipes inspire me.  I purchased some Dinosaur Kale, also known as Lucinato or Tuscan Kale.

I found a few recipes online and baked a batch with less than delicious results – too salty, unevenly cooked, and some were charred beyond being edible.   Yuk!
I had some beet greens from a beautiful bunch of beets from the farmers market, so I decided to get creative and tried a less salty recipe with the greens, along with some balsamic vinegar.  It sure sounded good, but the results were not good.  What about collard greens?  They are thicker and might hold up better to the heat of the oven.  Wrong!  By this time I was getting frustrated and I was close to a household rule that leafy greens do not go in the oven – ever.   I ended up buying a package of kale chips from Whole Foods for $7.99 to see what the “professional” chips tasted like, but I disliked these more than those I made myself.
I decided to consult an expert, and it just so happened that I was at the Summer Food Academy at Auburn School District.  On the last day of the academy, their experienced kitchen manager made kale chips for the kids.  They were fantastic, and many of the kids couldn’t get enough of them.
One of the critical factors I'd missed was the type of kale.  I learned that the Curly Kale is much better suited to even cooking because it does not lay flat on the baking sheet.

I found some beautiful purple curly kale at the farmers market and added some dried oregano and a pinch of cayenne pepper along with the olive oil.  I sprinkled salt on the kale just before baking to season it as I would any roasted vegetable to prevent adding too much salt.  The result was 100% delicious! 
Why was I so determined to make them?  Kale is a superfood, and I am always looking for creative ways to incorporate it in my diet.  One cup of raw kale contains 684% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin K, 206% of vitamin A, and 134% of vitamin C.  It is also an excellent source of manganese, copper, calcium, and iron and has 2 grams of fiber.  This is the kind of snack I get excited about!
If you haven’t tried kale chips, use my recipe below to give them a try.  Vary the seasoning if you’d like to and be sure to watch them closely as ovens vary in temperature.
Spicy Kale Chips
These home-made chips are so delicious that even your kids will enjoy them!  The curly leaf kale works best as the curly edges ensure that the kale doesn’t lay flat on the pan.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large bunch kale, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
~1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more if you prefer more heat

1.       Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2.       Spin kale in a salad spinner or blot with a paper towel to remove excess water. 
3.       Place kale in a large bowl, add olive oil, and massage the oil into the kale until all of the leaves have been coated.
4.       Place kale on a large baking sheet sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper.  Toss to evenly distribute the spices.
5.       Bake for approximately 10 minutes and then toss the kale to redistribute it on the pan for even cooking.
6.       Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the kale has just begun to brown around the edges and kale pieces are crispy.
7.       Cool and serve.

Preparation time:  25 minutes.
Makes 4-6 servings (or 1 if you eat them all yourself!)

Note:  Please consult your doctor if you are taking a blood thinner.  The high content of vitamin K may interfere with your medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment